Monday, February 12, 2018

The Joy of My REFIT® Classes

I love my  REFIT® participants.  Each of them that come to class bring something special. That being said, I want to highlight one of them for this coming Valentine's Day. 

Celebrating Trevor's 18th Birthday
I asked my participant Angel if I could write a blog about her son.  He is such an inspiration to me and to the other participants, that I wanted to share with you all. His name is Trevor.  I met Trevor when his mom (a former classmate of mine) started coming to another fitness class that I taught. He was 17th at the time. Trevor celebrated his 18th birthday with us.  He got to pick some of his favorite songs that we do for his class. As our class grew, Trevor had even more fun at class. He likes when we have big classes because he enjoys the energy, and when there are only a few of us here, he will ask "where is everybody?"




One of my participants is from the school district from where Trevor graduated.  She brought his diploma and presented it to him after class one night.  He was so proud of getting his diploma.  It was such a pleasure for me to be able to be there and take his picture with his diploma.




Trevor enjoys the fun nights we celebrate, such as dressing up for Halloween.  One time he came as as a minion and another time he came as Nacho Libre. That was one of my favorites.  I try to make these classes about having a good time and getting to know each other better.  Getting the "community" aspect of our mission.

We try to participate in the Ironton Christmas Parade.  This is usually on a class night, but we do this instead of class to show up in the local community and get them to notice REFIT®.

Trevor enjoys this event as well.  He loves walking the parade route and handing out candy canes, or peppermint candy to the people standing along the route.

In last week's class, I had to leave the room for a few minutes and "Chainsaw" by Family Force 5 began to play.  He absolutely loves this song, but usually doesn't do this unless another participant is standing with him, but tonight he did it on his own.  When the song says "crank it, crank it, crank it like a chainsaw..." he did his "chainsaw sound."  I couldn't help but smile when I heard him do this.  Because I knew he felt comfortable and at home (which is what we want our participants at REFIT® to feel...at home). He also loves "Can't Stop the Feeling" by Justin Timberlake. He will do the moves to it and sing.  When we walk with a little hop in our step, he will hop like a rabbit across the floor.

The most important thing I want to share about Trevor is that he knows Jesus.  His favorite songs that we play in class are the songs he hears on KLOVE radio.  He will sing along to these songs while working out.  The other night my heart grew really big.  We did Mandisa song "Unfinished" and he was singing along to it, at the top of his lungs -- "He started something good and I'm gonna believe it, He started something and He's gonna complete it...I'm just unfinished."  Then we did "Storyteller" as our cool down.  He began saying "It's my story, It is well with my soul.  Jesus loves me." Trevor loves to sing at church, but he loves to sing at REFIT® too.

I truly love Trevor and I'm so thankful that his mom feels comfortable to bring him and let him have a great time working out to clean music.  REFIT® is a fitness program that you can bring your children to and not worry about bad lyrics or inappropriate moves.  It's a place that children can join in if they want to.  When I first made the move to REFIT®, Trevor had a hard time calling it that.  I encouraged his mom to look up YouTube videos to help him to see what it was about...now he loves it.

I want to thank Angela, Catherine and Emily for creating this amazing program and focusing on the heart as a soul and a muscle.  And for encouraging us to build community.  Because of that focus, I have met an AMAZING young man, who is going to impact the world, just like he impacted mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment